Clinical Alerts and Advisories
Clinical alerts are infrequent notices posted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to speed up the release of findings from NIH-funded clinical trials when these findings could significantly affect morbidity (illness) or mortality (death). Clinical alerts may announce that enrollment in a particular trial has been stopped or that a treatment has been discontinued.
Recent alerts are shown on this page, organized by the year they were released. For more information, see the National Library of Medicine's NIH Clinical Alerts and Advisories page.
- Clinical Advisory: Randomized, Multi-Center, Phase III Study of Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation Comparing Regimen Intensity in Patients with Myelodysplastic Syndrome or Acute Myeloid Leukemia (BMT CTN 0901). National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Published May 15, 2014.
- Clinical Alert: Commonly Used Three-drug Regimen for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Found Harmful. NIH Stops One Treatment Arm of Trial; Other Two Treatments to Continue.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Published October 21, 2011.
- Related study record: Evaluating the Effectiveness of Prednisone, Azathioprine, and N-acetylcysteine in People With Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (PANTHER-IPF)
- Clinical Advisory: Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes Trial: NINDS Stops Treatment with Combination Antiplatelet Therapy (Clopidogrel plus Aspirin) Due to Higher Risk of Major Hemorrhage and Death.
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Published September 19, 2011.
- Related study record: Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes Trial (SPS3)
- Clinical Alert: Angioplasty Combined with Stenting Plus Aggressive Medical Therapy vs. Aggressive Medical Therapy Alone for Intracranial Arterial Stenosis: NINDS Stops Trial Enrollment Due to a Higher Risk of Stroke and Death in the Stented Group. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Published April 11, 2011.
- Clinical Alert: NHLBI Stops Study of Treatment for Pulmonary Hypertension in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease Due to Safety Concerns.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Published July 28, 2009.
- Related study record: Sildenafil Therapy for Pulmonary Hypertension and Sickle Cell Disease
- Clinical Alert: Immunizations Are Discontinued in Two HIV Vaccine Trials. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Published September 24, 2007.
- Clinical Alert: International HIV/AIDS Trial Finds Continuous Antiretroviral Therapy Superior to Episodic Therapy.
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Published January 18, 2006.
- Related study record: A Comparison of Two Ways to Manage Anti-HIV Treatment (The SMART Study)
- Press release: International HIV/AIDS Trial Finds Continuous Antiretroviral Therapy Superior to Episodic Therapy
- Clinical Advisory: NCI Issues Clinical Announcement for Preferred Method of Treatment for Advanced Ovarian Cancer. National Cancer Institute. Published January 3, 2006.